The Mallorcan receipes have in common the essence of the Mediterranean diet. Typical Mallorcan dishes that are nourished by the outstanding local products of the island. Although they vary between municipalities, flavor and tradition are the common threads of the cookbook. This is the case of the family gastronomy of the Serra de Tramuntana, whose recipes have passed from generation to generation until today.
To preserve this gastronomic heritage, the Tramuntana XXI association has published “Recipes from the Sierra de Tramuntana”. This is a compilation of 16 recipes from Mallorca that aims to recover traditional flavors and value the use of local and seasonal produce. A compendium that was born from the call for the contest “La cocina de la Sierra: We share the family gastronomic heritage”.
“We called for the recipe contest to value the use of local and seasonal produce, through the recovery of traditional recipes that, on certain occasions, are in danger of extinction”, explains Marta Ferriol, technical director of Tramuntana XXI. The entity shares this heritage with citizens and thus allows it to transcend in time. “Some of the recipes collected have been passed from generation to generation for many years and had not been written,” says Ferriol.
Soups, meat, fish and seafood, vegetables and legumes and even desserts. Each of these typical dishes from the Tramuntana reflects the tradition of the recipe and specifies when its ingredients are typical of the area.
Mallorca Recipes: Typical Tramuntana dishes
These typical recipes from the Tramuntana area of Mallorca have been compiled in a recipe book that can be accessed at the end of this article.
- Christmas soups (Ripoll sisters, Deià).
- Christmas (Aina Oliver, Sóller).
- Chickadee soups (Maria Pascual, Bunyola).
- Of killings (Margarita Bibiloni, Pollença).
- Shelf of roasted me with quince (Pep Socias, Pollença).
- Lamb in the wood oven (Mariona Ràfols, Estellencs).
- Suckling pig with ANFO (Toni Cuco).
- Butzetes de tordos (Laura Estaràs and Marita Boscana, Valldemossa).
Fish and seafood:
- Jigging squid stuffed with mushrooms and vegetables with ink sauce and blackberries (Lluís Cardell, Sóller).
Vegetables and legumes:
- Escaldines beans (Margalida Picornell, Banyalbufar).
- Fried carrots safarnàries (Bel Pascual, Sta. María).
- Godfather lime eggs (Alicia Oliver, Fornalutx).
- Pancu (Andreu Barceló, Fornalutx).
- Formatjades (Magdalena Pascual, Pollença).
- Formatjades (Marina Cerdà, Pollença).
- Eggs in the snow (Eva Cerdà, Pollença).
Do you want to prepare any of these recipes from Mallorca? To know the ingredients and the way of preparation, access the collection of typical dishes of Tramuntana XXI.